Start here if you need a loan to finance your studies at Emily Carr University of Art + Design

Figuring out how to finance your studies and apply for a student loan (if needed) can be confusing. At Emily Carr, we are here to help. We have advisors in the Financial Aid + Awards Office who can provide all the information you need, plus resources online. You can connect with Financial Aid + Awards staff by emailing or by booking an appointment with an advisor at mywco/advising.

Students who fulfill British Columbia residency status should refer to the Student Aid BC assistance program which combines federal and provincial funds. Canadian students coming from outside BC have Student Aid options within each province.

All students thinking of applying for a student loan should carefully consider their repayment responsibilities and assistant programs. We can also advise you on credit counselling, student line of credit and assistance, plus loan programs for part-time students. Plan ahead and contact us as early, noting the deadlines for each program as they apply to you.

Each BC student’s loan and grant eligibility will be determined based upon their individual financial circumstance. Students from other provinces will be subject to the eligibility of their home province. As this funding may not cover both tuition and living expenses, students are encouraged to seek out alternate forms of funding like grants and scholarships by doing an exhaustive internet search. Various scholarship search tools are available on the internet such as yconic , scholarshipscanada and fastweb.

Citizens of the United States may be eligible to apply for Stafford Loans to attend Emily Carr University of Art + Design. Stafford Loan applications packages are available from the Financial Awards Office.

United States citizens studying at Emily Carr University are eligible to apply for the following types of Stafford Loan funding through the Direct Loan Program. Please note that Pell Grants are not available for study in Canada.


fixed personal loans

  • Subsidized Stafford Loans available to students based on financial need. Borrowers are not charged interest while enrolled in full-time studies.
  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loans available to students not necessarily based on financial need. Borrowers are responsible for the interest that accrues while in full-time studies. Interest on unsubsidized loans begins to accrue from the day the loan is disbursed until it is repaid in full, including in-school, grace, and deferment periods. Borrowers may pay the interest during these periods, or the interest can be capitalized.
  • PLUS Loans available to parents borrowing on behalf of a dependent child. Borrowers are responsible for the interest that accrues while in full-time studies.
  • PLUS Graduate Loans available to graduate students when financial need is not met by Stafford Loans. Borrowers are responsible for the interest that accrues while in full-time studies.

Not all programs are eligible for Direct Loan Funding. For further information please refer to the Eligible Programs portion of this document.


In order to receive your funding at the start of classes, it is suggested you apply at least six weeks before the start of the semester.

  1. Applicants must submit a US Loan Request Form to initiate the loan process through Emily Carr University. The US Loan Request Forms are available by contacting the Financial Aid + Awards office. The applicant must be formally accepted to the University before the loan assessment and calculation can be done.
  2. All Stafford applicants must undergo a standard need analysis by the US Department of Education. To activate this analysis, prospective loan applicants must complete a form called a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can complete a FAFSA on-line Emily Carr University’s Title IV Code is G23388.