The support is a combination of grants (Maintenance Grant) and loans (Maintenance Loan), similar to full-time students

3. Part-time undergraduates

0 interest personal loans

Eligible first time undergraduates who study part-time are able to apply for support for living costs on a pro-rata basis.

If you meet the eligibility criteria and your course starts on or after ount of grant and loan you get will depend on the intensity of your course and your household income. The figures below are a guide to new part-time students only and show the maximum amounts you could get.

In most cases it’s easy to identify if you are a new or continuing student but there may be circumstances based on your previous learning that could have a bearing on what and how you apply. If you’re unsure whether you qualify as a new or continuing student, check your status with your University or Student Finance Wales.

You must be studying at a course intensity of at least 25% to get a part-time grant and loan for living costs and to apply for a part-time tuition fee loan. Students studying with the Open University in Wales must apply for part-time support, regardless of intensity of study.

The amount of grant is based on a full-time equivalent of ?6,000, reduced by ?1 for every additional ?6.84 of income above ?25,000, and prorated by intensity of study.

Student Finance Wales will work out how much Maintenance Grant you could get first and what’s left will be awarded as a Maintenance Loan. Your grant and loan will be paid directly into your bank account once you have registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college each term.

Tuition Fee Loan: under the new support package, eligible part-time students studying at a course intensity of at least 25% can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to help cover the costs of their tuition fee. Your Tuition Fee Loan is paid in 3 instalments directly to your university or college once your attendance is confirmed.

Most students won’t have to pay anything upfront for their course. If your university or college is charging more than the Tuition Fee Loan available you’ll have to fund the difference yourself (this may be the case for a privately funded university or college).

Remember grants usually don’t have to be paid back but loans including interest will. You can get more information on repayment and what interest you’ll be charged by visiting the loan repayment website.

In addition to living costs and tuition fee support you could get the following support if studying at an intensity of 50% or more:

Childcare Grant: you could receive a Childcare Grant as a contribution towards the cost of your childcare if you have children in registered or approved childcare. You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the child element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, Childcare Allowance from the NHS or Tax-Free Childcare from HMRC. The amount of grant you will receive will depend on the intensity of your course and household income, up to the available maximum part-time amounts.

Parents’ Learning Allowance: you could receive help with course-related costs if you have a dependent child or children. The maximum amount you could get is ?1,862 per year but this will depend on your household income and course intensity.

Adult Dependants’ Grant: you may be eligible to be considered for an Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you. The maximum amount you could get is ?3,262 per year but this will depend on your household income and course intensity.

Disabled Students’ Grants are also available to support you during your part-time course. You must be studying at an intensity of 25% of more for this grant.

Eligible students undertaking distance learning courses will only be eligible to receive a tuition fee loan, maintenance support and Disabled Students’ Grants.

Bursaries and scholarships: some universities and colleges may offer discretionary bursaries or scholarships. You can talk to your Student Support Service to see what additional financial help may be available to you. If you’re on a course which leads to a qualification in medicine, dentistry or healthcare then you might be able to get a bursary from the National Health Service (NHS). Visit the Student Award Services website to find out further information.

4. Postgraduate masters and doctoral students

Since , eligible postgraduate Master’s students have been able to receive support made up of a mixture of grants and loans as a contribution to costs, rather than allocated specifically to fees and maintenance. Disabled Students’ Grants are also available to support you during your postgraduate course. Find out more.

The amount of grant is reduced by ?1 for every additional ?6.937 of income above ?18,370. Students who study part-time receive the same total amount of support as full-time students, but support is paid on a pro rata basis over the duration of the course.

Master’s bursaries have been available to graduates studying a Master’s degree in Wales since the academic year. Master’s bursaries are available for the academic year:

  • A ?4,000 bursary for people over the age of 60. The grant aims to provide additional support for students over 60, who are currently unable to access the same financial support as younger students due to HM Treasury restrictions.
  • A ?2,000 bursary for graduates of all ages studying a Master’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or Medicine, often referred to as STEMM’ subjects.
  • A ?1,000 bursary to study through the medium of Welsh. The bursary aims to support the continued development of the Welsh-speaking workforce and help achieve the target of a million Welsh speakers by 2050.

If you’re starting a full-time or part-time postgraduate doctoral course (such as a PhD) you can apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan of up to ?27,880. This can help with online Collierville payday loan course fees and living costs while you study.